Paying for health care is a difficult topic
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is an option that allows members to deposit pre-tax dollars to help pay for immediate and future health care expenses tax-free. With an HSA , you can easily pay for your eligible health expenses using our debit card. Best of all, there's no monthly maintenance fee.
HSA Features and benefits:
- No monthly maintenance fee
- Members are able to make tax-deductible contributions and withdraw funds tax-free for qualified medical expenses
- Members can take their HSA with them if they change employers
- The balance in an HSA can be carried over to the next year, there is no “use it or lose it”
- You'll be issued a debit card for easy access to your funds
- Earn 0.10% APY*on the balances you keep on your HSA
- Transaction limitations apply, see below
- An HSA is an individual account
- Joint members cannot be linked or associated to this account type
Answers to your FAQs about Health Savings Accounts
Do I qualify for an HSA?
A person must have a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) to qualify for an HSA. A person will choose a HDHP for the lower cost of health insurance, which usually won’t cover the first several thousand dollars of expenses (deductible). This is often referred to as a “catastrophic” health insurance plan. The HSA helps to pay expenses not covered by primary health insurance. Always check with your tax advisor for annual maximum contribution limits on an HSA.
If you’re looking for more information about opening an HSA, speak with a financial expert at Blue or call toll free 1-800-368-9328.