Why is a Spending Plan Important?
We all know having a budget is important, but why is having a spending plan important? Learn why establishing a spending plan is important to your success.
Do you want less stress? A better marriage? Want to improve your financial security and wondering where to start? The answer is budgeting. Setting up a budget is crucial to keep your finances in order; according to some, it can even reduce conflict within your home. In fact, it’s the most fundamental piece of your financial foundation. Unfortunately, according to a Gallup poll, only around 1 in 3 of us use some sort of household budget plan.
Whether you want to save up for a vacation or pay off debt, achieving any financial goal is almost impossible without a budget. A budget helps you plan and track your spending, so you can take stock of where you’re at, outline how to get to where you want to be, and successfully achieve your financial goals. Here are some reasons why it is essential to set up a budget.
There are a million good reasons for setting up a budget, but here are five big ones in case you still need any convincing:
- Helps you to plan for expenses: Some people may hear the word budget and think it conveys a restrictive lifestyle, or they worry that having one might be limited and not allow them to enjoy life. In reality, a budget is simply a financial plan that helps you manage your money. It is a tool that lets you see where your money is going. This enables you to plan for the expenses you need and avoid overspending on things you don’t. Still, you’re always the one in charge of how the budget is arranged and what spending limits you set for yourself. So you can plan for expenses and avoid overspending.
- Controls your spending: A budget helps you control your spending by setting limits on how much you can spend in each category. This way, you can prioritize your expenses and ensure you have enough money for bills and other necessities. Even if that necessity is a streaming service with your favorite show on it or the occasional splurge on fancy coffee. We know life needs to be worth living; sometimes, that means treating yourself. With a budget, you can account for those special occasions and still enjoy the things you love with less worry or guilt, knowing you’re still on the financial track.
- Provides a clear picture of your financial situation: A budget helps you see your financial situation clearly. You can see how much you are earning, how much you are spending, and how much you are saving. This is the only way you can make informed decisions about your finances.
- Helps you save money: A budget helps you save money by identifying areas where you can reduce spending. You can also set aside a specific amount of money each month for savings, which will help you achieve your financial goals.
- Reduces stress: Financial stress can take a toll on your mental health. A budget provides you with information and a plan of action. With a reasonable budget, you know exactly where your money is going and how much you can reasonably spend in distinct categories. Feeling in control of your finances will help reduce the stress and guilt that often comes from spending money that you aren’t sure whether or not you have. You will know exactly where your money is going and how much you have to spend. Plus, you will have all your data organized so you can quickly and easily check in on your financial situation and adjust as needed.
Setting up a budget isn’t the only thing you need to achieve financial stability. And once you set yours up, you may find that additional changes need to be made so you can live in a way that you feel comfortable and achieve the financial goals you’ve set. But it is an essential step toward financial stability. It helps you plan for expenses, control your spending, provides a clear picture of your financial situation, help you save money, and reduce stress.
And now it’s easier than ever! You don’t have to manually track every purchase in spreadsheets (or by hand) as many did in the old days. Now apps like Mint can do all the heavy lifting for you. With these tools, your expenses can be tracked, and an analysis of your spending can be made without any great effort on your part. If you need help with getting a budget setup and don’t use apps, no worries. Several websites are also available with free tools, such as https://www.ramseysolutions.com/tools and https://www.iwasbrokenowimnot.com/tools-budgeting.
All you have to do is get started. It may seem daunting initially, but it is a simple and effective tool that will benefit you in the long run. If you need more help and want to talk to one of our professionals about how we can help you find your path to success, please visit one of our branch locations, or call 1-800-368-9328.
Events with Blue
Joining our credit union means stepping into a financial community where everyone has something to contribute. We believe community service and education are instrumental to financial success. Join us at an upcoming event!
Visit our online help center for quick assistance or contact us directly—we're happy to help.Online Help Center
All branches are open to do business.